Friday

A Little Cinema... Sherlock Holmes

By Erin 
It's a new year and my least favorite part of winter. If it were up to me, snow would begin the day before Thanksgiving and end January 2nd. But since I don’t have powers over the weather (dang it!), I block out the cold with a cozy blanket of media escapism. Give me a bucket of popcorn, an extra large Coke Zero, and an engrossing story and I could probably survive the isolation and freezing temperatures of an Antarctic research station.

If you’re looking to escape from this week’s endless snow storms, may I recommend you go on a witty, adrenaline-packed adventure with the most famous and widely depicted detective of all time.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was, undoubtedly, brilliant, but I’m not sure he ever imagined his most lasting and famous character quite like this. Instead of the staid and distant Holmes depictions of the past, Robert Downey Jr.’s Holmes is a far more realistic, and viewer friendly genius. Downey Jr.’s Holmes is an outwardly eccentric genius who lets you in on nearly every step of his highly entertaining thought process. No more momentum stopping monologues to Watson explaining whodunit here. The original dynamic duo is too busy tackling the bad guys. Literally. Yes ladies, this is an action movie, but in this holiday season completely devoid of a decent chick flick, don’t despair! Instead, expand your horizons and surrender yourself to two hours of witty and original fun. The men in your life will thank you for it. At the very least, you’ll have spent two hours in the company of Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law, and in my book, that’s always time well spent.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Great post! I loved Sherlock Holmes! It was proof that you can have an entertaining and smart movie that was clean from sensual scenes and bad language.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails