No doubt you have heard of the handmade phenomenon, Etsy. This is an amazing medium for women, just like you and me to sell our wares. Etsy is great because unlike starting your own website to sell your stuff, Etsy already has an audience. This makes it easier for buyers to find your creations.
- How much money can I make? Like any business, it all depends on you. You can do anything from financing your kid's piano lessons to paying for the family car.
- What does Etsy sell? Etsy sells handmade items, supplies, and vintage items.
- How much does it cost? Etsy charges 20 cents per listing and 3.5% commission per sell. Seller is responsible for shipping.
- How do I price my items? A good rule of thumb is your materials + your time x 2 = retail price. Also, shop around and see what others are charging for similar items.
- How do I market my Etsy shop?
- "Hearting" and tagging on Etsy is a great way to let people know about your shop.
- Facebook, Twitter and other social media.
- Advertising and participating in giveaways on blogs, like A Little Great :)
- Participating in local boutiques in your area, such as Oh Sweet Sadie.
- First consider your commitment. Is this something you want to do as a hobby or as a business? This will have an impact on how you approach selling.
- List new items frequently. Etsy posts the most recently listed item first!
To learn more about setting up shop and what's hot right now on Etsy, watch Dani's TV interview.