Saturday

A Little Cuisine... Tomato Basil Soup

by Tami
You could have seen me on ABC 4's Good Things Utah making this soup in 2005.
I was a finalist in a soup contest and they had me come on the show to demo it! 
It's that good!

Tami's Tomato Basil Soup

2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Butter
1 small white onion chopped
1 Tbsp dried basil
2 14.5 oz cans Italian diced tomatoes
1 can or jar of 26.5 oz spaghetti or marinara sauce ( I use Hunt's Traditional)
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp sugar

Sautee the onion in the oil, butter and basil until wilted.  Add diced tomatoes, sauce 
and broth. Simmer for 30 min. Puree in a blender or hand immersion blender works best.
Before serving add cream and sugar.

FYI
* If you don't have heavy cream or want to cut on the calories use half and half or milk. You can also leave out the butter, but why?
* This recipe came from a more complicated version that I simplified it and made it my own! I have made many variations and this is the easiest and yummiest!
* My family loves to add a dollop of cottage cheese to our bowl! Try it, you'll be surprised!
* Pipe a heart out of sour cream for an extra cute valentine touch!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to trying this, my sucessful friend YOU! Even if its after Valentine's day. It sounds super delicious and easy too, no wonder you won.

Melissa and Luke said...

I tried this recipe last night and it was a hit. Not only did I love how it tasted but it was so easy to make. Can't go wrong there. Thanks for sharing. I have been looking for a yummy tomato soup recipe. I think I found a winner.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails