Thursday

A Little Nutrition... Dealing with Hunger and Food Cravings

by Corinne

 
photo source:  http://today.msnbc.msn.com

Let's avoid moments like the one pictured above (that is what can happen when you let yourself get to a "1" - see below!)

A friend of mine linked this article on her facebook feed.   I really enjoyed reading it.  It was a good reminder to me on how to eat in a way that I am more conscious of my body's signals.  If I am trying to curb my intake of food, I sometimes wait too long to eat, so that when I do, I am desperate and eat the first thing available (usually not healthy or filling).  I love the idea of eating as soon as I feel at a level 3 or 4, and then stopping at a 5 or a 6. 

This chart and the paragraph below were the most helpful to me - enjoy!  I did.

Hunger LevelSensations and Symptoms
1Starving, weak, dizzy
2Very hungry, cranky, low energy, a lot of stomach growling
3Pretty hungry, stomach is growling a little
4Starting to feel a little hungry
5Satisfied, neither hungry nor full
6A little full, pleasantly full
7A little uncomfortable
8Feeling stuffed
9Very uncomfortable, stomach hurts
10So full you feel sick

"Once you begin paying attention to how you’re feeling before and after you eat, you can start to make changes in what and how much you eat according to your hunger. It’s best to eat when your hunger level is at a 3 or 4. Once you wait until you’re at a 1 or 2 and are feeling very, very hungry, you are more likely to overeat or choose less healthful foods. (Remember: Any food will quell hunger, so we often reach for whatever is easy and convenient when we're feeling desperate to eat.) At a level 3 or 4, when you’re just starting to feel some hunger signals, you can make a conscious decision to eat the right amount of healthful and tasty foods. It's important, too, to be aware of how much you eat. It's best to stop eating at level 6 before you feel uncomfortably full (7-10). Your brain registers the signals that you're full slowly, and learning to eat to satisfaction without overeating will take some attention and practice."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails