Thursday

A Little Health... Super Foods


I'm a firm believer of "moderation in everything". I try to make healthy choices when eating, as well as eat a well balanced diet. Which means, I indulge in the "good stuff" too. The following is 10 "super foods" that will help you achieve your healthy eating goals. They are packed with nutrients and will help you live longer.

1. Low Fat or Fat-Free Plain Yogurt. Yogurt has a higher concentration of calcium than other dairy products and contains a lot of other important nutrients including protein and potassium. Yogurt also has probiotics, which help your gut maintain a healthy balance of bacteria. I like to eat my yogurt with some fresh fruit for a healthy mid morning snack.

2. Eggs. Eggs contain 12 vitamins and minerals and are a great source of protein. And studies have shown that if you eat eggs for breakfast, you'll eat fewer calories during the day. My favorite way to eat them is scrambled.


3. Nuts. Nuts are packed with protein, heart-healthy fats, fiber, and antioxidants. They key with nuts is in portion control. Mixing nuts into a salad is an easy and tasty way to get your recommended servings.

4. Kiwis. Kiwis are one of the most nutritionally dense fruits. Just one large kiwi can supply your daily requirement for vitamin C. Additionally, it is packed full of antioxidants and is a good source of potassium and fiber. Kiwis are great on their own or as part of tasty dessert. Yum!

5. Quinoa. Quinoa is a lesser known whole grain, but one of the best you can eat, because of it's high protein, fiber, and iron content. Quinoa can be cooked just like rice and served with vegetables. I've actually never had it, but plan to add it to next week's menu.

6. Beans. Beans are great for your heart, because they are loaded with insoluble and soluble fiber. Insoluble fiber helps lower your cholesterol and soluble fiber fills you up. Try my favorite beans, edamame (soy beans). You can get them at Costco in the freezer section.

7. Salmon. Salmon is packed full of omega-3 fatty acids, which help protect your heart. Salmon is low in calories and packed with protein and iron. Recommendations suggest ingesting fatty fish twice weekly. I also buy my salmon at costco. When I get home, I cut it into small fillets and freeze it. Then, when we want salmon, I just pop it out of the freezer and we are ready to cook.

8. Broccoli. Broccoli is a rich source of vitamins, A, C, and K. And as everybody knows, broccoli is packed with fiber. I'm all about easy meals, so when it comes to broccoli I get the Steam Fresh packs. In 5 minutes or less I have deliciously steamed broccoli to serve with any meal.

9. Sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are the leaders in vitamin A content. Most people may think only of Thanksgiving when considering sweet potatoes, but I enjoy them year round in a variety of recipes from Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious Cookbook.


10. Berries. Berries are packed with antioxidants, water and fiber, and have the added benefit of being low in calories. Blueberries lead the pack, but any berry will provide positivce health benefits. 

Happy and Healthy Eating!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails