Thursday

A Little Parenting... Home-made Baby Food

With the birth of my daughter, I decided I wanted to provide baby food that was both good for her, as well as cost effective.  I went back and forth about whether or not I should home make her baby food.  After talking to dozens of moms, consulting message boards, and searching the web about the subject, I decided I would make at least some of my own baby food.
 The following is what I have learned:
-You make a real mess of your kitchen.  But it is very worth it!
-The rest of your family looks at you like you are crazy.  Why on Earth would you make your own baby food?  Disregard their comments.
-It has tons of benefits!!  It’s extremely affordable!!  And I know exactly what is going into my little one’s tummy.
-Vegetables are easy…meat a little bit more time intensive…and I haven’t ventured into fruits (simpler to just purchase in my opinion).

So, how do you make your own baby food?  It’s simple.  Purchase fresh fruit, vegetables, beans, or meat at your local grocery store or farmer’s market.  Cook them at home.  Most vegetables can be steamed.  Baking is also a great method for preserving flavor and nutrients.  Puree in a blender, Magic Bullet, or food processor, adding water to thin.   
 Freeze them.  I put mine in ice cube trays.  Each ice cube is approximately a one ounce serving.  Once they are frozen, pop them out of the ice cube trays and put them in freezer bags.  Label the bags with what it is and when you froze it.  In general, most foods are good for 3 months.  When your baby is ready for a meal, just pop a few into the microwave and you have a home made meal for your sweet little baby!

There are dozens of websites out there, but the best I have found is www.wholesomebabyfood.com.  They tell you everything from when to start certain foods…to how to prepare and store them.  Check them out!  

We have tried lots of different foods at our house, but the ones that turn out the best are white potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, peas, beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and chicken.  Let me know what foods you have tried and liked.  Happy baby food making!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails