I love adding healthy ingredients to delicious recipes. This banana bread is made with whole wheat flour and flax seeds. Note: adding flax seeds to recipes is an amazing way to add nutrition to anything that contains flour and it makes whatever you are making so moist.
Makes 1 loaf
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds (super good for your skin!)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Slivered Almonds
Note: I use My Magic Bullet
to grind the flax seeds and it works great!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; set aside. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and beat to incorporate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture, and mix until just combined. Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; mix to combine. Stir in nuts, and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Let rest in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.