Tuesday

A Little Inspiration... Why I Love Being a Mom

by Somer
Five years ago I was leading a very different life. Five years ago has so much to do with who I am now. There is so much beauty in the little things. There is so much love to be had.

Five years ago I learned that there is physical pain when your heart breaks. I learned that strength can be found where you didn't know it existed. I learned that babies aren't always brought to their Momma's arms to be held and loved when they first come into the world.

Five years ago I learned that health is a gift. I learned that love can create miracles. I learned that many people will do much for a stranger. And that even more will do all for a friend. I learned that when you have been sleeping in a chair for a couple of nights post labor, you may want to write down that you took a sleeping pill so you don't forget and take another. I learned that two sleeping pills can seem like bells palsy.

Five years ago I learned that with love, I could will a little person to live. I learned about priorities, balance, touch therapy, anatomy, and how to read a ventilator. I learned about cardiologists, pulmonologists, cardio-thoracic surgeons, ENTs, infectious disease doctors, fellowships, residencies, nurses, nurse practitioners, interventional radiologists, gastroenterologists, nuerologists, and respiritory therapists. I learned that no one would watch my baby as closely as I would, no matter how much they cared. But I also learned who I could trust to watch almost as closely.

Five years ago I learned that even though my life had changed, even though taking my third daughter home wasn't what I had planned, even though, while my world had stopped, others lives were still moving along, and that what I had been given was every bit as wonderful as what they had been given. Even though I might mourn the loss of what might have been, I still love what is.

I'm okay with questions about feeding tubes or tracheostomy. I love to share some stories of the miracles we saw. I don't mind the stares, just don't frown when you do stare, because my life makes me smile.

Five years ago I was taken away from the life I had. I moved four hours from my husband and two children. I had a small dormitory room and then a little apartment, along with a house I couldn't visit. I sat in a hospital room watching a baby too small to understand look at me with total understanding. I held a hand that should have held a rattle and stroked a foot that should have been kicking off socks. Where I wanted to see bows I saw IVs. And through it I learned to love the life I had been given. To appreciate the wonderful gift of the simple things.

And now, even though I am clapping for a five-year-old because she ate a whole container of yogurt. I love it. My back may hurt at the end of the day, but I am so blessed to be able to get through the day and carry my thirty-plus pound girl where she needs to go. And I don't think I would smile at the antics of a three-year-old if I didn't know how lucky I am that he can do that. Or appreciate the screams of delight if I hadn't known the silence. So, five year ago I learned a lot of new things, but mostly I learned how much I love being a mom.

5 comments:

corinne said...

Somer, this is so beautiful. You are talented and beautiful inside and out.

Deb said...

Amazing! Beautifully written too :)

Jocelyn Christensen said...

You are a fantastic Mother!

Somer said...

Thank you Ladies. You are very kind.

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

This post should be read by every mom everywhere. My son was born under special circumstances and he is now five. I have to agree that when you go through something hard and your world stops it's hard to believe that life goes on for everyone else. this was extremely touching!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails