Thursday

A Little Cuisine... Creamy Chicken Chili


I love to cook. I grew up with a grandma and mom teaching me about whole foods and slow foods long before they became the uber cool food trend.  I read cookbooks like you devour novels.  I search out food trends of my favorite books (the story of my Vinegar Pie ala Ma Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie is legend at my house…and fodder for another post at another time).
My goal on this blog is to get you to gather your family around the dinner table.  Use cloth napkins and placemats.  Turn the TV off.  Turn on some soft music in the background.  Ask your family what they did to help someone else that day.
I have a huge collection of recipes ranging from super easy to “worship the cook”.  This is the most requested comfort food at my house.    It uses canned items easy to keep on hand that make it a great pantry meal.  Get your family around the dinner table with a meal that takes less than 30 minutes.


Carrie’s Creamy Chicken Chili
Serves 4-6 (depending on how hungry your family is or if you have teenage boys…in which case this would serve three of them)
My notes:  My kids love to top this with crushed tortilla chips and shredded sharp cheddar cheese.  I like to top mine with diced tomato, red onion, avocado, and chopped cilantro.    You can find hominy at your local grocery in the Mexican food aisle or near the canned corn.  Add some fresh fruit to round out this meal.
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
1 medium onion, diced fine
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
15 ounces small white beans (1 can) (drained and rinsed)
15 ounces hominy, yellow (1 can) (drained and rinsed)
14 ounces 99% fat free chicken broth (1 can)
4 ounces chopped mild green chiles (1 can)
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 Cup low-fat sour cream

1. In a large saucepan, sauté chicken, garlic, and onion in oil until onion is translucent. Add beans,  hominy, chiles and seasonings. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 20 minutes.

2. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream. Add salt to taste if needed (I find that there is enough salt in the beans and hominy that it really doesn’t need more).

1 comment:

Eliza said...

Incredibly tasty and so simple to make. Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails