Wednesday

A Little Craft... Carseat Tent

Last fall I started to spot "carseat tents" everywhere!! I desperately wanted one...but seeing as they sell for nearly $50 and I did not know how to sew... I thought it was something that was just out of reach. I figured I would spend the winter attempting to keep my new baby warm and germ free with an awkwardly positioned blanket.

But alas... I do not accept defeat that easily!! After google searching the subject, I found many tutorials on how to sew the "carseat tent". I decided despite my almost entire lack of sewing experience and my lack of a sewing machine, I could do this!! 
 I bought the fabric, pins, thread, and velcro; borrowed a sewing machine; and after a little tutorial on the sewing machine and "how to" from my sister, I was ready to go.

They are really simple to make.  Even with very little sewing experience.  Here’s how:

Supplies
-1.5 Yards Patterned Fabric (I buy extra in case I make mistakes)
-1.5 Yards Coordinating Solid Colored Fabric
-Spool of Thread in Coordinating Color (I use the same color as the solid colored fabric)
-Sew-On Velcro Strips (I use the same color as the solid colored fabric)
-Straight Pins
-Measuring Tape
-Sewing Machine

Process
-Drape the fabric over your carseat to determine how big you want your carseat tent.  I did mine approximately 33 inches by 45 inches.  Yours may vary depending on the type of carseat you have.
-Pin the patterned fabric and solid colored fabric together, with the “right sides” in and cut to your desired size. 
-Sew the entire perimeter approximately ½ inch in from the edge.  Make sure to leave an opening approximately 6-8 inches (for flipping it right side out).  When you reach a corner, you can either make a square corner or round it by gently turning the fabric as you advance it through the sewing machine.  I prefer the rounded corners, as it gives the tent a softer look.
-Turn the fabric right side out and push out all corners and edges.  Iron to help work out any bumps or wrinkles.
-Sew a top stitch approximately ¼ inch in from the edge.  This sews shut the hole you needed, as well as gives a nice finished appearance.  Set this aside
-With the remaining fabric, pin (same as before) and measure two pieces measuring 7 inches by 4 inches.  Cut out your handles.
-Sew the entire perimeter approximately ¼ inch in from the edge.  Make sure to leave an opening approximately 1-2 inches (for flipping them right side out).  I keep the corners of these straight, because of their smaller size. 
--Turn the fabric right side out and push out all corners and edges.  Iron to help work out any bumps or wrinkles.
-Sew a top stitch approximately 1/8 inch in from the edge.  This sews shut the hole you needed, as well as gives a nice finished appearance.
-Cut your velcro to the desired length.  I do them just slightly smaller than the width of the handle.
-Fasten in place (one piece on the solid colored side and the other on the patterned colored side, so they overlap when attached) with a pin and sew on.  I stitch over it twice to ensure a strong hold.
-Position your handles where you would like them on the tent and secure with a pin.  I place mine directly in the middle lengthwise and 10 inches from either side.  To make sewing easier, I draw with a pencil a rectangle of where I plan to sew.
-Sew in place.  Again, I stitch over it twice to ensure a strong hold.
-Attach to car seat and you are finished!

I am proud to report that although the sewing machine, thread, fabric, pins, scissors, velcro, and I frequently get in fights...I ultimately win!! I don't think I could ever make $50 off of one of my masterpieces, but it serves it's purpose and is pretty darn cute!! I love the ladybugs!!  I've since made three more...one for my neice's new baby boy (a star pattern) and two for friends (one with fish and another with adorable polk-a-dots).  Happy sewing! 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails