These chairs were the first thing my husband and I bought as newlyweds. They were $50 at Pier One and we opened the credit card to get 15% off. Almost nine years and two kids later they were not fairing well. They kept giving my daughter splinters. Seriously, daily splinters. It was bizarre. So I decided to cover them.
I first Googled, "how to upholster a straw-seated chair" and all other variations I could think of. I found lots of tutorials but nothing that was just right for my needs. Next, I, of course, consulted Somer, my crafting hero. She suggested the following method...
Remove the splintery old seat.